Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Double Stuffed Oreo Cookie Pops

This Christmas, I was searching Pinterest for an idea for volunteer gifts. I am a children's director in our church and every Christmas I like to give our leaders a small gift. I saw a picture for Oreo cookie pops found here and thought I'd give them a whirl. 


I battled the crowds at the Bulk Barn for the chocolate and lollipop sticks; No Frills for the baggies and Double Stuffed Oreos.

Here is how I, actually it was mostly my husband (you'll see that he is the brains of this operation) put them together.   

Step One: Separate the cookies.

 Okay. Easier said than done. The cookies never break apart gracefully as they seem to do on the commercials. 

My husband suggested warming them in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds, which then melted the icing just enough to twist the tops off perfectly. Brilliant. 



Step Two: Place the stick in the icing and put the cookie back together. 

(Sorry. I don't have anymore pictures for these next few steps)
  
The original instructions suggested dipping the tip of the stick into the melted chocolate and then letting it harden between the two cookies. I found the cookies didn't stay nicely together because the stick was too fat. 

Husband to the rescue again: He suggested putting the cookies with the icing side back into the microwave for about 5-10 seconds to melt the icing just a bit. Brilliant again. Sticks sunk nicely into the icing for the two cookies to come together without a huge gap. 

Step Three: Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Easy. Done.  

Step Four: Dip the cookies into the chocolate and lay on wax paper.  

Uh oh. The cookies slid right off of the stick into the chocolate. 

Husband to the rescue once again: He suggested that once the sticks were in the icing and the cookies were put back together, then place them on a tray in the fridge for about 10 minutes to let the icing harden again. Brilliant. 

I fed our son some rice cereal and when we were finished, so were the cookies. 

The cookies were dipped into the chocolate and laid out on trays that had wax paper covering them.




My wonderful husband had earlier smashed up candy canes into fine pieces and sprinkled them onto the tops of the freshly dipped Oreos after I laid them on the wax paper. 

After letting them harden overnight, I then grabbed the sandwich baggies that I had bought and put a cookie in the baggie. The bag was too big, so I snipped off part of the bottom and then it was a perfect fit. 

I cut some red ribbon, tied the baggie together, curled the ribbon with my scissors, and voila:



Once we figured out some tips and tricks, these were fun to put together and look cute all finished!


  Before I go, I just want to say thank you for taking time to read our little blog these past two months! Melody, Faith and I have such a fun time writing about our different projects that we do around our homes. We appreciate each and every comment on our blog and Facebook! If it wasn't for you, we would be just be writing to...ourselves...which might become boring after awhile. :)
  So thank you! 


  We pray that you and your families will have a blessed Christmas Day!



 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment below! We'd love to know what you think. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...