Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Bookshelf Makeover

Since I've been redecorating my home office (hopefully the finished product will be up next week!), I've been repurposing furniture from around my house to keep the costs down and to freshen up some other spaces. One of the pieces that I snagged from another room was a bookshelf that I inherited from.. somewhere.

Originally it was a natural pine colour, which is fine since its a great piece but it didn't really go with anything. I ended up spray painting it (I know, big surprise!). So for a while it just sat black and boring but I wanted to do something interesting with it. I was seeing all over blogland and decorating magazines that you can put wallpaper on the back of them. That sounded great to me except that I have a fear of wallpaper ever since one of the houses that we lived in had over 24 different wallpapers all over the house - but that's another story.

So I didn't want to use wallpaper because I have commitment issues, so I decided instead to see what fabric I had since fabric is so much easier to remove. I had this perfect grey floral that has been sitting there for a while and decided it would be great for this project. Plus it matched with the curtains I made and the overall colour scheme of my office, bonus!

To do this to your own bookshelf you'll need mod podge, a paint brush, fabric scissors, an iron, and a good amount of space.


First, iron your fabric. I hate ironing personally, but trust me, it will look so much better if you do. Carefully take the back panel of your bookshelf off and trace it onto your fabric. Cut your fabric out. Put small amounts of mod podge onto the panel and place your fabric down on it, smoothing out the bubbles as you go. When you are done attaching your fabric to the back panel, wait a few minutes for the glue to dry before attaching it back on your bookshelf. It really is a fantastically easy project that only took about 15 minutes from start to finish! I can't believe how it brightens the whole bookshelf!






What do you think?




Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Great job! I added fabric to my kitchen hutch and I think it just makes any piece look better! Visiting from Censational Girl - I'm a new follower, hope you stop by too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your hutch looks beautiful. I'm going to try to convince my mom to do this to a china cabinet that she has. It just looks so fresh! I'm off to visit your blog!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea-following you from Kate's party-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that is totally stunning - I want to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a very easy project to try!

      Delete
  4. I love it! It really looks great and a 15 minute project? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you on ironing. This is a post I did on "life being too short to". Life is too short to...

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment below! We'd love to know what you think. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...