Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Getting Cozy: Homemade Applesauce

Sorry about the late post. I was planning on posting yesterday, but I ran out of time! Heidi will have her second post up later today :)
There's nothing better than licking the whipped cream off the beaters,
unless you get to do it with this cutie!
*****************************

A few days, I bought 1/2 a bushel of apples to make applesauce with. My girls have applesauce with their oatmeal every morning and when Troy starts on solid foods in a few months, applesauce will be one of the staples. 

I figured that I could save myself a pretty good amount of money, not to mention that I know exactly what's in it and know that it's perfectly safe for my kids.

Instead of making a huge batch at a time, I make two or three jars as I have had time. It really doesn't take too long, but when you have kids hanging off you, it's just easier!

If you want to make your own, I followed these instructions with a few of my own modifications.  I chose to do the "easy" instructions since  I don't have a canning pot or a colander. I simply peeled and cored my apples before putting them in the pot. 

I didn't add any sugar to mine since it's for the kids, but I added quite a bit of cinnamon to give it some extra flavour. 

I made quite a few jars and I have to admit, I was quite giddy when I heard the first "pop" that means that the jar sealed. 

I'll be making a few other recipes with apples, but for now, I can look at my jars and feel proud :)

This technically day 13 of our Getting Cozy series. 
Click the button above to catch the rest of the days. 

If you don't want to miss a post, follow us on Facebook or via RSS feed. 
And remember, there are still a few days left to enter our contest to win a knit cowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment below! We'd love to know what you think. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...